Sunday, May 8, 2011

A tear-filled day (but in a good way)

*Note: This was written on Thurs. April 28 -- just posting it a bit late.

Well, today was an emotional day. I admit I’m quite sappy and it often doesn’t take much for me to reach for Kleenex. I began the day at a wedding of a couple I had never met, but weddings always make me weepy. I was covering a “royal wedding” that was part of a WGN contest for a local paper. It’s been a few weeks in the making. Chicago’s WGN Channel 9 sponsored a contest in the weeks leading up to the royal wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton. Viewers picked a winning couple and then got to vote on all the details – the rings, dress, menu, flowers, table settings, honeymoon locale. So, I went out to Meyer’s Castle, a mansion in Dyer that was designed to resemble a Scottish castle, for the event. The site is a wedding venue, restaurant and upscale nightclub.

I talked to the bride before the wedding, which was kind of neat. Even at weddings I attend where I know the couple, rarely have I been in the room with the bride before she walks down the aisle. It was quite fun.

The wedding ceremony was aired on live television. After asking a producer where I could stand to be out of the way, he asked me to fill in an empty seat. So, I was able to enjoy the wedding from the same vantage point as the guests. As soon as the bride began to tear up during the vows, I did the same.

I came home and wrote my article to get in for deadline. Then it was getting to work on last minute details for a dinner I was coordinating with friends in the Junior Woman’s Club. The dinner was to honor our local vets and it was so touching to see so many heroes there with their spouse or guest. Many were World War II veterans. Our speaker was the brother of a local Marine who died while serving in Iraq five years ago. After he was done talking, his father also said a few words. I don’t think there was a dry eye in the place, myself included. I felt so proud of our club at the end of night for doing something to bring such an exceptional group together and to show our appreciation for them and all they have sacrificed.


My buddies from the Lansing Jr. Woman's Club.


The Band of Brothers Pipes & Drums were there!

Some of our distinguished guests. This couple met while serving during World War II. Aren't they adorable?

Some more of our guests enjoying the dinner.

The Honor Guard presented colors.

No comments: