Sunday, May 8, 2011

May every girl find her prince

*Note: This blog was written on April 29, but I'm just getting it posted.

Just as I did thirty years ago, I got up early today to watch the royal wedding. That year I was eight-years-old. I was in awe of all the tradition, the crowds, the dress, the whole fairy tale.

In 1981, I got up about 4 a.m. This time I woke up at 5 a.m. as my husband’s alarm went off to wake him for work. It was perfect timing. I tuned in just to see the bride arriving at the church. It was a bit different than watching the royal wedding of Prince Charles to Diana Spencer in 1981. Looking back, they looked so nervous and unsure. This time, the couple looked so at ease, so confident, so comfortable, so in love. I guess that may be in part because Diana was so young. I know that when I married, just before I turned 19, I was nervous and just so immature and more into the party that would take place afterwards than the meaning of the vows and the seriousness of the ceremony. However, I did marry my prince who I grow to love more every day. It’s been almost 20 years since I walked down the aisle and I still get giddy when we’re together.

As I watched the royal wedding, I thought the bride was stunning. I wasn’t so much into the fashion and the celebrities in attendance. The moment that really got me was when William first glanced at his bride and told her she looked beautiful. It made me melt. Every girl should have a groom that looks at her that way. Even without all the pomp and circumstanceand all the riches that go along with his status, that was a moment that defined him as a fairy-tale “prince.” It’s the way my guy looked at me on our wedding day and still does – wrinkles, gray hairs, c-section scar, extra pounds, stretch marks and all.

No comments: