Sunday, May 8, 2011

I love girl time!

I grew up in a house with sisters. My dad was outnumbered. I live in a house with six males. Oh, and the dog is also a male. I am very outnumbered. Everything in my home revolves around boys. No hint of anything girly. No shades of pink. All tough stuff. Rowdy rolling around on the floor wrestling. Destruction. Testosterone.

So, I was so happy to have an opportunity to spend a little time with my sisters this weekend. I’m in the middle of the girls. I have an older sister and younger twin sisters. One sister lives a little less than an hour away. Another lives a little over an hour away. The other lives more than two hours away. So, it’s not often we get together. In fact, the four of us are only together usually for Thanksgiving and Christmas and whichever kids’ birthday parties fall during the year that we’re all able to attend.

The past couple years we made a conscious effort to schedule a “sisters weekend.” Our first one was in January a couple years ago. We met for lunch, did some shopping, stayed overnight at a bed and breakfast. The next morning was a gourmet breakfast followed by an afternoon at the spa for manicures, pedicures and massages. It was wonderful.

Last year, my sister told us about a Sisters Weekend near her in St. Charles, Illinois. I think it was organized by their chamber of commerce or local business owners group to encourage shopping in the downtown area. This time our sisters get-together was two nights. There were lots of fun scheduled activities. This time, our sister-in-law also joined us and it was so nice to have her there.

This year, time has just slipped away from us and we haven’t gotten a weekend on the calendar. The busy sports and travel seasons are gearing up, so who knows when we’ll fit it in. However, this past weekend, we were able to get together for an impromptu sleepover at my sister’s house. It was a short one. I was away from home for only about 17 hours, but it was so refreshing! I met my twin sisters at IKEA. It was my first time there! I loved browsing. Then we met my older sister and had dinner at a Japanese steakhouse. We all love those types of restaurants! We had a great time. Back at my sister’s, it was time for a chic flick. Great choice – Valentine’s Day. We loved it!



Once the movie was done (a little after midnight), two sisters went off to bed and one of the twins and I spent a little time on the computer looking up video clips and giggling. Then, as happens at many a girly sleepover, we put our heads on the pillows and chatted. And chatted. And chatted. Next thing I know my sister says “I think I hear birds chirping. We better go to sleep.” We checked the clock. It was 4:30 a.m. Needless to say, we were a bit groggy when we were awakened by our other sisters’ laughter at 9 a.m., but it was a wonderful time with my wonderful sisters! I’m so blessed to have them in my life! Now it’s back to the boy fortress, but a weekend like we had - with time to relax and regroup -makes it that much sweeter to come home.

No comments: