Sunday, May 29, 2011

Get with it, Mother Nature!

The spring flowers are blooming, but the garden isn't doing so good. For the past few years, my husband and boys have planted a garden. I wish I could say I had something to do with it, but I don't. It's all my husband and the boys and Grandpa. I plant flowers. They plant the food.



My father-in-law has a huge garden. He has a MAJOR green thumb. Everything he plants seems to do well. Tomatoes the size of a large softball, two-foot-long cucumbers, bunches of green beans, sweet carrots, spicy radishes, leafy lettuce. It's wonderful because it's always more than they can eat and we benefit from his green thumb. His garden is also big enough so that there's extra room there to grow what won't fit in our small yard. My 12-year-old usually stakes out a portion of the garden to grow the sprawling vines of pumpkins, watermelons and cantaloupe. Here's a picture of some of the pumpkins that he grew.


And here's some more of the goodies.


At home, we always grow sunflowers as a border around the garden. We've had flowers up to 12-foot tall. I love to look out the window and see this:


This year, my husband thought it would be nice to build a greenhouse and start from seed instead of getting tomato, pepper, zucchini plants. However, he wasn't counting on the cold weather we've had. Snow flurries in April, temperatures near freezing when we're nearing June. Nothing has done well. Maybe one of these days Mother Nature will realize it's spring, but by then it will be summer and she'll be cranking up the heat.

No comments: