Friday, July 1, 2011

Summer is off to an exciting start

Well, it's been 2 1/2 weeks since the kids got out of school. That first week we chilled by sleeping in and then did some days at the library, the movies, trips to the park, trips for ice cream, pool visits. Then the following Monday was the start of summer enrichment, so I had to put the travel plans on hold until they finish that in a couple weeks. They seem to be enjoying it, so I'm happy I enrolled them. Little League season is coming to a close. One finishes up his t-ball season tomorrow and his big brother's team placed first in his division and will have playoffs next week.

So, as far as the mom stuff, it's going smoothly and I look forward to a fun month ahead with the boys. As far as me, things are getting really exciting. Last week I got to view the cover image of my new book, titled Mom Moments: a compilation of columns from the Northwest Indiana Times. The book is just what the title suggests, a collection of the columns I've written for the paper over ten years. It was fun putting it together and pulling out my favorite columns to include. The cover image was shot by my friend, MaryBeth Witulski. I love it! Pre-orders are being taken and it should be released shortly. I can't wait. Here's the link, if you're interested in pre-ordering -- and use code DISCOUNT20 for 20 percent off -- http://www.publishamerica.net/product42806.html.

Here's what it looks like:




Also, take a look at my Facebook page for Mom Moments - http://www.facebook.com/mobileprotection#!/pages/Mom-Moments/313529082299 and "like" it. I post my Times columns on there and will put updates on when the book is released and any book signings I'll be doing.

I also have a children's book in the works. Last night I got an e-mail with a look at the final illustrations. Even if I only sell three copies, it's a dream come true to have a children's book completed. It's been on my to-do list since I started writing. I'm so glad to be able to have the project almost finished. It's based on a true story of an event from 10 years ago, so it's taken a while! I'll let you know when it's finally in print.

This week was also busy at my other job. Last fall I started working part-time as a photographer in the nursery at some local hospitals. It is such a fun job. Each day I go to work I get to see a new little miracle. I absolutely LOVE being around new babies and new moms. I love capturing these first shots that the families will treasure. We got a new software system this week that is awesome and I was there several days for some training. It has a musical slide show to display pictures and gives us cropping tools that we didn't have before. With anything new, it will take a little bit to get the hang of it, but I'm loving it so far. I'm taking on some extra days while another photographer takes a little time off, but I don't mind. It's so nice to have a job like that -- one that you really look forward to and one that you go to knowing the day will be filled with happy people.

Another thing I'm excited about is another blog I'll be writing. I'm not going solo this time, though. My sister, Becky and I are going to be blogging together about one of our favorite topics -- food. We'll post on meals we've  had at area eateries, food history, cooking tips, cookbook reviews and more. We just launched our site today, called "Chicago Foodie Sisters." Here's the link - http://chicagofoodiesisters.blogspot.com/2011/07/welcome-to-chicago-foodie-sisters.html.

So far, summer is off to an amazing start!

No comments: