Thursday, November 10, 2011

A walk without music isn't the same

Wow. What a difference from yesterday to today. I dropped the kids off for school yesterday with a warm breeze in the air. The thermostat in my car read 60 degrees at 8:45 a.m. Lovely fall leaves were whirling in the air. I got home and couldn't help myself. I had to put on my walking shoes and get outside. Every warm day we've had the past few weeks makes me more appreciative because I know one of them will be the last one until next year.

I pulled out my iPod for the walk. Dead battery. Pulled out a little MP3 that I handed down to the boys when I got the iPod. Dead battery. I honestly didn't want to walk without the music. The strides seem to be sweeter and more invigorating to the sound of Jason Mraz, Train or Darren Criss. So, I plugged in the iPod as I pulled out the shoes, threw in a load of laundry and did a couple quick things around the house. I hoped it was enough to sustain the battery for my morning walk. No such luck. One round of "Hey, Soul Sister" and then a few lines into "Teenage Dream" and it went dead. As nice as the warm temperature  was, I headed for home. The world is not the same without music.

By the time I got back, the MP3 had a charge in it. I plugged it in and headed out to the garage to get some items that were stored upstairs, but when I walked out, the sun felt so warm on my face. I couldn't bear to go into the cold, dark garage. I pulled up a lawn chair, propped my feet up on the table, closed my eyes and faced the sun while the music played. About five songs in, the wind picked up, the sun hid behind the clouds and it was over. But before I retreated inside, I grabbed the camera. The fast-moving clouds against the bright blue sky looked incredible.






Today was much chillier. It was in the 30s and we even saw snow flurries for a few minutes, but it was enough to excite the kids. Sounds like we have another warm up in store this weekend, though. I'll take it.

No comments: