Thursday, November 10, 2011

I'm feeling a bit Bah Humbug-ish

I love Christmas. I really do. I love the decorations. The spirit of giving. The tree. The music. The stockings. The tradition. The family time. The food. What's not to love?

I don't love, however, that Christmas merchandise was out before the Halloween stuff was off the shelves in some stores. It's stifling. It's too early to be bombarded and I don't like it. Give us a breather! What's wrong with waiting until Thanksgiving to kick it in full-force? I much prefer that approach. Although I love the holiday, it's just got me feeling a bit Bah Humbug-ish. And that's not my style. At. All.

I also can understand more this year how people get depressed around the holidays. I, luckily, have a big family that I'll be able to spend the holiday with and that's one of the the things I most look forward to -- the big celebration at my sister's house with as many of my siblings and neices and nephews as can be there. For someone who doesn't have family to celebrate with , it can just compound the lonliness. For someone who has lost a loved one since last Christmas, it can be unbearable.

Also, for those who can't afford the luxuries of the holidays, it can be a big downer. It feels wonderful to give, but when you financially aren't able to give gifts to those who are important to you, it can crush your holiday spirit. This will be the tightest holiday for us in a long time as my husband has had a pay freeze at his job for quite some time with no raise in sight as insurance costs have increased, esentially lowering his take home pay...along with gas and grocery prices shooting through the roof. My writing jobs have been dwindling as some of the publications I write for cease to exist or cut their budgets or their print space. It's going to be a thin holiday this year, whether I like it or not. But, we do have a steady stream of income, which I have to be grateful for -- even when it doesn't leave room for any extras. We have the basics, eachother and our health, which is more imporant than materials items that you unwrap. Doesn't quite translate the same to a child, though, who doesn't see much under the tree.

I"m trying to focus on my blessings, but can't help but feel a little blue about it right now. In a few weeks, when it's the appropriate time to start decking the halls and putting up the mistletoe, I'm sure you won't be able to stop me from carolling. Just give me a little time to enjoy the turkey and stuffing first.

No comments: