Friday, November 11, 2011

Life through the lens: days 72 and 73

Well, here's my photo entry for today and one for tomorrow, since I don't expect to be on the computer at all.

Today is 11/11/11, also Veterans Day. I wrote a column on Memorial Day about a local cemetery that we stopped at that had several aging graves that were covered in grass and dirt and very hard to read. Someone from the cemetery committee read the column and scheduled a clean-up day, which made me happy. I stopped there again today with my oldest son. We walked around and saw the results of the clean-up. We also had a flag and sought out a Veteran's grave that didn't have a flag to leave it at. This was the first one we saw, a World War I veteran who died over 50 years ago.


We also made a stop at the Martini tree. I'm a member of the Lansing Junior Woman's Club and our group planted this tree in 2007 in honor of LCPL Philip Martini, a U.S. Marine from Lansing who lost his life while serving in Iraq. All year long, and especially at Memorial Day and Veterans Day, flags are left by the tree and the memorial marker. My son left one more today.

No comments: