Friday, September 16, 2011

Silence is golden

I had forgotten how much I enjoy silence. After a long summer with a constant house full of kids, I'm once again able to enjoy some spans of time when the house it quiet. The first few days of the new school year always strange and bittersweet. After that wears off, it is incredibly relaxing to be able to sit down and have a few moments to think without all the noise and distraction that keeps me from even being able to form coherent thoughts.

I'm getting used to it - having those quiet pockets. Then as it gets closer toward 3:00, I brace myself. I prepare for the storm. When everyone steps back into the house, it's always an explosion of voices. "Mom, look at this." "Mom, you need to sign this." "I forgot my lunchbox." "Mom, he's bothering me." "Mom, can I have a snack?"

Don't get me wrong. I love my kids. I love their voices. I love hearing about their school day. It's just such an abrupt change from the silence to the bombardment of noise. Makes the silence that much sweeter.

No comments: