Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I don't think I'll ever get used to the noise

School got out early today. And I have two extra kids at my house. They are all outside, but it's a lovely day and the windows are open. And it's loud. Even though they are outside. I'm glad they are playing outside. Often when friends are over, they simply want to hibernate in front of the TV with the XBOX.

One of the visiting boys just started playing organized football this year, so he's got the whole gang going in a game of tackle football. Football is not my thing. Even in watching professional football, I cringe. I shudder. I wince. I squint. I simply don't like to see people hurting eachother. So, when all my boys are playing football, my first thought is that someone is going to end up squished or bumped or knocked down...or maybe seriously injured. Sometimes I think I'm just too feminine for this household. I get all knotted up inside when they start playing aggressively. I need to get over it. I don't need to jump in every time they wrestle. It's easier said than done.

I also should be used to the noise by now, but sometimes it bothers me. Some days I can focus and all the background noise is there without me noticing. But when it accompanies wrestling or football, forget it. I can't ignore it. Sometimes I just throw my hands up and tell my husband he's in charge. Then if someone gets hurt, it's on his watch, not mine. He doesn't see what the big deal is. He, after all, was a rowdy boy once. He understands it. I don't. Never will.

No comments: