Thursday, September 29, 2011

A pleasant interruption

"Mmmmoooommm?" I hear in a loud whisper. I'm startled awake. It's 2:50 a.m. He moves in closer. "I think I saw a giant spider run under my bed." They'd been watching a big spider outside on the garage earlier, so I'm guessing a bad dream of being chased by a giant spider followed. "Can I sleep in your bed just for a little while?" I know that probably means the rest of the night, resulting in little sleep for me and probably a sore back from twisting around him. My husband stirs and gets up to go to the bathroom.

"Sure, come here," I tell him. He puts his head in the crook of my arm and snuggles close to me. It's been a long time. I had him next to me often in his early years. He's now 6. It takes me back to the many nights of comforting him in my bed when ear infections kept him up at night before he had ear tubes put in. I miss those nights of his head nestled under my neck when I could hear and feel him breathe.

Two minutes later, my husband is back upstairs. "Do you want me to tuck you back into your bed?" he asks. My son mutters a quiet "Ok." No argument or stalling. He turns to get out of bed and falls on the floor. Poor thing. He gets up without a word and staggers to his bed. I'm normally cranky when I am awakened these days, but that was a pleasant interruption. I drift back off to sleep smiling.

No comments: