Sunday, April 10, 2011

I've got it good

I sat in a parking lot the other day in my SUV watching someone lug a huge garbage bag into a laundromat. Don't know why, but somehow that moment struck me as profound. Just made me think about how wrapped up I get in my own life and how sometimes my view narrows because I look at things solely from my own perspective. When I watched him struggle, I just felt this jolt of compassion as I realized how easy my life sometimes is.

I've never been what I would considered spoiled or pampered. I'd like to think that I'm somewhat low-maintenance and not extremely concerned with material things. Monetarily, it's never been a piece of cake. There hasn't been an overabundance, but enough. Sometimes I overlook what a gift it is to simply have "enough."

In my life (well from my second year on), I've lived in a house. I've never rented. Never lived in an apartment where I had to deal with other tenants or difficult landlords. From my parent's home, I married and we purchased a home. I've never been on my own where I had to completely support myself. I've always had someone there to back me up. Having that security is a big deal.

I've never had to rely on public transportation. I've owned a car since I was 16. It was a few years before I owned a brand new car, but I always had a reliable set of wheels. I've worked since I was 11 and I married someone who did the same. I've never had to rely on public aid, food stamps or unemployment. I've always had some kind of health insurance.

My parents are both living. My spouse and children are healthy. I'm surrounded by people I love and who love me. And no matter who you are, some days go by without fully appreciating such things. Today I'm looking at it with eyes wide open. I've got it good.

No comments: