Thursday, May 24, 2012

Graduation Day

Well, it's been a big week for my oldest. Saturday he turned 18. Last night he graduated from high school. Two big steps in a matter of days. As a mom it's a mix of emotions. And I try to put myself in his shoes and wonder what he's thinking of and what his fears are and what he's excited about. It's kind of scary to try and commit at that age to a career path that you plan to do for the rest of your life. So many people change their minds and sometimes not until years in a career they find isn't a good fit. Over the past few months, his plans have changed several times. My dream for him was always for him to go away to a four-year university, but that's not what he has in mind. I think the idea of going away to school terrifies him. And I can suggest and nudge, but ultimately it's his decision and I can't make it for him and I can't force him into something that he's against doing. It would be nice if when someone asked his plans, he had it all worked out and was completely confident in what he wanted to be doing in 10 years. I'm a planner. I like to know what's coming up and what to expect and have things in place. Maybe that's more a female thing. I don't know. I just know that I want so much for him. He has plans and I'll continue to encourage him in those plans and on his road ahead.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm a planner too! And my boys are both under 2! :p Congrats to your son for graduating! Such a big step in life!

New follower from the Finding New Friends Weekend blog hop!
Come visit me over at http://sharmartinez.blogspot.com

xo -S