Thursday, April 12, 2012

Can't we all just get along?

Well, we are on our fifth weekday of Easter break and the kids are really getting on each other's nerves. I've been trying by best to spread them out. There are enough rooms in the house that no one really has to even be in the same room...but they all seem to keep ending up on top of each other and annoying each other.

Easter morning they were getting ready to go out to hunt for eggs. It ended up being delayed a bit. They were all arguing before they even got to the door. They were knocking each other down just trying to get to the door. Then, once the hunt began the big boys had full bags before my youngest had two in his bag. He was soon in tears. The bigger boys were all fighting and blaming each other for hogging the eggs.

Hubby was working and I decided I'd take all five boys out to a buffet for lunch. I have to be feeling quite brave to take all five of them anywhere on my own. It's never peaceful. There's always some drama or a bout of bickering on seating arrangements or someone singing in the car or someone bothering someone in some way. This day was no exception.

Most of the rest of the week has been spent at home except for running some errands. All my grand plans of activities for the week have been curtailed by pressing deadlines and exhaustion. Today, I knew I had to get them all out of the house. We all set out for a nearby forest preserve. There was room to run and explore. Somehow, there were still a few moments where, although there were dozens of acres surrounding them, they had to be on each other's heels. All in all, it was a good trip...followed up with slushies. Tomorrow is the last weekday off, so we'll have to do something special. The oldest one starts a new job tomorrow, so our plans of all going downtown as a family to the Sears (I still can't call it the Willis) Tower will get bumped back probably 'til summer. Hopefully,  I can get through the next three days with my sanity intact...but I'm not betting on it.

No comments: