Thursday, November 24, 2016

There's always something to be grateful for

I was fortunate to be able to spend my Thanksgiving with several of my loved ones. There were a few missing from our celebration - my sister and brother-in-law who relocated to Arizona a couple years ago, my brother and his family, my niece in Australia, my husband who was working at the firehouse. It didn't quite feel complete, but there was so much to be thankful for. I do have to remind myself sometimes that even when things aren't going perfectly, there are so, so many things to be grateful for.

There have been some sad things and some frustrating things that have come about recently, but in the overall scheme of things, I am so blessed. I live such a blessed life. Although my parents health is on the downswing, they are still here and were able to be with several of their kids and grandkids for Thanksgiving. Although my husband was working, we will celebrate on an alternate date with another big feast. Although I've been seeking another job and not having any luck, I still am doing freelance work in the field I love and my husband, who already works very hard, has been taking on overtime when it's available. Although the house needs work, it's a warm place full of love where I see my children every day. Although our dog is slowing down and showing his age, he's still active enough to play and bring us lots of joy. Although I drove a 13-year-old vehicle with 127,000 on it to Thanksgiving dinner, it's reliable enough to take a 5-hour round trip and big enough to fit the whole gang. Although I had to scrounge up quarters from the bottom of my purse to buy ingredients to make trimmings for the big meal, I know that a paycheck is coming at the end of the week. Although I sometimes feel kind of alone, like there are a lot of acquaintances in my life, but a lack of true friends, it felt great that my siblings and nieces and nephews were happy to see me. Although my kids are growing faster than I'd like, they were all able to be with me today and enjoyed each others companionship. Every time there's a downside to something, there's a positive as well. A silver lining. A ray of light in the clouds. Don't forget to look for it.

No comments: